this week's chakra
the sacral chakra or svadisthana
This week on our 8 week Kundalini Yoga & Meditation Chakra Cleanse we move upwards to our Second Chakra, our Sacral Chakra or Svadisthana.
As you read the information below, begin to ponder how your Sacral Chakra may be manifesting in your life. Perhaps you feel quite in balance and strong in some of the areas mentioned. Perhaps you feel you need a little balance and strengthening. Bring whatever comes up for you to class to consciously work through your Sacral Chakra to bring balance and cleanse these areas of your life.
Location: The sexual organs.
Organ/Gland: Sexual organs, reproductive glands, kidneys, bladder
Qualities: Positive, relaxed attitude to sexual functions, patience, creativity, responsible relationships.
Shadow: Rigid emotions, frigidity, guilt no boundaries, irresponsible relationships. Problems with reproductive organs or kidneys.
EMOTIONS & RELATIONSHIPS
We are present to the world of emotions at our Sacral Chakra, through movement, flow and the water element. We begin to feel within and without ourselves, being aware of where we may be suppressing emotions, blocking movement, awakening and pleasure. We become aware of our own emotional needs and the needs of others. We can learn through this chakra to differentiate between our emotions and the projection of others.
When the Sacral Chakra is weak we become emotionally needy, depending on others to feel safe and secure. By rebalancing the Sacral Chakra we begin to go into our bodies rather than our heads and tap into the power of our emotions. We achieve our own sense of security. We are not afraid of feeling and do not need to run away from the uncomfortable. We learn not to create resistance and undue suffering. We begin to surrender and flow with what is. Your Kundalini Yoga & Meditation practice supports and retrains your mind and nervous system to naturally surrender and flow.
SEXUALITY & CREATIVE ENERGY
Many ancient spiritual practices were created by men for men and often suggested celibacy as a way to harness the sexual, creative energy in the Sacral Chakra to awaken the Kundalini energy and raise it up the spine. However, if not trained correctly to channel this sexual energy it creates tension, anxiety and nervousness and will find other outlets such as violent behaviour.
Kundalini Yoga is the Yoga for householders. Yogi Bhajan brought this Technology to the West to benefit the average man and woman with a Western lifestyle. Whilst other Yoga and Spiritual practices required (mostly men) to retreat from the normalities of life to reach these "enlightened" states, Yogi Bhajan wanted to teach Westerners how to maintain these states within their normal lives.
Using Mulbandh or Root Lock after most of the asanas and movements we do in Kundalini Yoga is one way that we harness and balance this sexual energy and direct it up the spine. For men, harnessing this sexual energy for enlightened states is more directive and controlled, as is masculine energy. Whereas for women, harnessing the sexual energy is more naturally about relaxing, flowing and opening, such is feminine energy.
Both men and women have masculine and feminine energies within them. Creating balance between these inner polarities within each of us allows us to become whole and rather than two halves coming together to make a whole, as in a co-dependent relationship. Kundalini Yoga helps us balance these polarities within us so that two wholes can come together for sacred unity, which can result in restorative renewal and ecstatic pleasure.
NUTURE & PLEASURE
Our Sacral Chakra is also the seat of inward pleasure. We move away from temporary pleasures of the external kind such as material possessions, relationships, food and entertainment as these can become addictive and destructive and we move toward self nurturing, feeling inner contentment and reducing inner conflict.
Kundalini Yoga & Meditation supports you in practicing this as you begin to gain courage to feel within, accept all sensations, integrate all parts of you without judgement of "good" and "bad" or "pleasurable" and "painful". As you begin to accept all parts of you, all sensations become pleasurable, peaceful and you cease inner separation between all parts of you. All of you, the light and dark, is accepted and loved by you.
UNDERDEVELOPED, UNBALANCED & UNALIGNED
"You lacked nurturing and accepting parenting in your early years that, instead of helping you learn how to appropriately express your emotions, feelings, needs and desires, caused you to repress and question them." (Your Life is in Your Chakras, Guru Rattana Ph.D.)
- Feel something is the matter with you
- Inadequacy, feel like an outsider and a misfit
- Feel ashamed of your body and sexuality
- Starved for connection
- No rules apply to me and you do your own thing with devious self-justification
- Attention-grabber, spotlight addict
- Lack boundaries
- Trauma or Drama King or Queen
DEVELOPED, BALANCED & ALIGNED
When your Sacral Chakra is balanced and aligned you will experience;
- Healthy self-esteem independent of others feeling good about your uniqueness
- Honour your own humanness and the humanness of others without judgement
- Have a willingness to share and be generous without depleting yourself
- Feel joy in living and have a zest and passion for life
- You make a difference and create an impact in the world drawing opportunities to you with your charisma
- You can creatively express yourself and be in the flow, allowing things to happen. You are spontaneous and inspired.
- You process emotions through feelings and don't avoid feeling allowing your emotions to become self nurturing
- You feel secure in your own energy
- You are empathetic without judgment
- You have a great healing capacity, healing and nurturing others and bringing out the best in them
- You have purposeful and productive relationships
- You are able to connect with your partner sexually without losing yourself. Women: able to relax into own expansiveness and to receive and nurture a partner without control or manipulation. Men: able to integrate emotions and equality and love from the heart.
THINGS YOU CAN DO TO BRING BALANCE
- Come along to class this week! It doesn't matter if you missed Week 1 of our Chakra Cleanse, if any of the above speaks to you, come along to class. You will still receive a saving by booking for the full 8 weeks even though you've missed a class. So CLICK HERE to read more about the Cleanse and the pre-payment options. Otherwise just email me email@example.com and let me know you're coming Casually :)
- Deep abdominal breathing to fill the belly with prana (life force energy) and to expand from within
- Spinal rotations to activate spiral energy - feel it move up the spine
- Root lock - focus at the third eye to direct energy up the spine
- Spinal flexes in Easy Pose (cross legged) and then on knees to open, stimulate, move energy in the spine
- Chair pose to raise sexual energy and to "harness your horniness"
- Abdominal and hip exercises to open up pelvic region
- Bow Pose to massage and relax belly
- Camel Pose to release tension in sexual organs, especially for women
- Frog Pose to raise sexual energy
- Drink plenty of water for emotional balance.
Try one of these affirmations for the week. Write it on a sticky note and stick it up in your bathroom or somewhere you will see it daily.
I can connect and maintain my energetic boundaries.
I contain my emotional and sexual energies and use them to nurture myself.
I am at choice and choose to use my creative energy for my creations.
I am totally free to be me and who I am is worthy of love.
I create for my highest good at every moment.
My relationships are defined by my own inner nurturing.
I am at peace within myself.
Most of the information in this blog has come from the FANTASTIC book Your Life is in Your Chakras by Guru Rattana Ph.D. who is an internationally recognised Kundalini Yoga & Meditation Teacher.
THIS WEEK'S CLASS TIMES TO CHOOSE FROM
As I mentioned above, even if you have missed our First Week of the Chakra Cleanse you will still receive a discount if you pre-pay for the full 8 weeks. You are also more than welcome to pop in to a class Casually, just send me a quick email so that I can save you a mat firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mondays 6.00 - 7.00pm Yoga
Tuesdays 7.00 - 8.00am Meditation
Wednesdays 6.00 - 7.00pm Meditation
Wednesdays 7.30 - 9.00pm Yoga
Thursdays 9.30am - 11.00am Yoga
Saturdays 8.30am - 10.00am Yoga